Columbia, IL Deck Builder: Building The Backyard You've Always Wanted
Deck builder in Columbia, IL. Are you dreaming of a beautiful and functional outdoor space in Columbia, IL where you can entertain guests, relax with family, or simply enjoy the natural beauty of your surroundings? A well-designed and constructed deck can transform any outdoor area into a space everyone wants to be and relax in. However, installing a deck is hard work. This is where a professional Columbia, IL deck builder comes in. A skilled deck builder can design and implement the outdoor space you've always wanted, from start to finish. At Poynter Landscape, our experienced and knowledge group has been helping Columbia, IL homeowners get the outdoor living space of their dreams for more than almost three decades. If you want to add a deck to your property, speak to a Poynter team member today at 636-256-2600 or contact us online.
Why Build a Deck?
A deck is a fun and relatively affordable way to extend your home outdoors. A deck can do wonders for your Columbia, IL home:
- Increases home value
- Increases living space
- Provides a space for outdoor entertaining
- Enhances how your home looks
- Good for sloped yards
- Allows you to enjoy the outdoors without unpacking the tent
Why Hire a Professional Deck Builder in Columbia, IL?
A deck is an investment in your home, and you want to make sure that it's built to last. Contracting a professional deck builder in Columbia, IL ensures that your deck is built to code and with the highest quality materials. A deck builder will work with you to come up with a design personalized to your needs and tastes. They will also take care of acquiring any necessary permits and ensure that the deck is built to comply with local Columbia, IL regulations.
While many Columbia, IL homeowners find the "do-it-yourself" part of a home makeover alluring, a professional deck builder is the best way to turn what you have in your head to reality. Professionals will be able to come up with design ideas you never thought of or thought possible, and make sure you and your property are unharmed during installation. While doing it yourself may cost less up front, if you make any mistakes or have to redo the deck, it'll end up being more expensive than a professional deck builder in the first place.
Perhaps the best reason to hire a professional deck builder is that they can help enhance your yard even further by designing and building other hardscape and structural elements that go hand-in-hand with your new deck. Poynter Landscape is a one-stop-shop for all of your outdoor living space needs. We also build:
- Outdoor Lighting
- Outdoor Fireplaces
- Fire Pits
- Patios & Terraces
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Pergolas & Pavilions
- Retaining Walls
With us, your deck, home, and any other improvements will be designed to function together and allow you and friends and family to effortlessly enjoy your outdoor space.
Columbia, IL Deck Builder: Designs
If you're thinking about getting a custom deck in Columbia, IL, there are several things to consider to ensure your needs and tastes are met. The following are some things to keep in mind:
- Use — How do you see yourself using your new deck? Do you plan to host friends and neighbors for a grilling or prefer a private spot to be alone with your thoughts? Having a sense of the intended purpose of your deck will help guide the design process.
- Location and Orientation — Where on the property will your deck go? Keep in mind things such as the sun exposure, which way the wind usually blows, and scenery to determine where your deck should be located. Also, check with (or have your professional Columbia, IL deck builder check with) your local zoning regulations to ensure you adhere to setback requirements and other building codes.
- Materials — What should your deck be built with? The choice of materials will affect the durability, maintenance, and appearance of your deck. Common options include wood, composite, PVC, or aluminum. They all have their own advantages and disadvantages, so you need to understand the specifics of each, pay attention to the advice of professional deck builders, and choose a material that meets your requirements and budget.
- Design and Style — How do you want your deck to look? Will it mesh well with your home's architecture and landscape? There are countless design possibilities for decks, from straightforward to elaborate, traditional to contemporary. Go over elements such as railing, lighting, color, and texture to create a united and beautiful yard.
- Budget — What are you willing to spend for a new deck? The price of building a deck can vary significantly depending on factors such as size, materials, design, and features. Setting a budget early on will help you prioritize your needs and wants and make informed decisions about your deck project.
- Maintenance — How much work or money are you willing to put in to keep the deck in shape? Different materials and finishes need different levels of maintenance to keep them looking their best. Be sure to factor in the ongoing maintenance costs when designing your deck.
- Building Codes and Permits — Do you need permission from your local municipality to build your deck? Most local Columbia, IL government offices require permits for new deck construction, and not acquiring one can lead to fines and legal issues. Furthermore, regulations specify minimum standards for structural safety, including framing, footings, and railing. It is necessary to abide by all building codes to ensure both your safety and the legality of your deck.
By considering these factors and contracting a reputable Columbia, IL deck building company, you can create a breathtaking and functional property that turns your house into a dream home. Just tell Poynter what you have and mind, and we'll be able to give you a brand new deck that looks amazing while serving a purpose.
Deck Materials Used in Columbia, IL
Most decks are built to look like wood, however there are several different materials that can be used to create the deck you have in mind. Most Columbia, IL deck builders will work with any of the following:
- Wood decks are always popular. They are relatively inexpensive, they look great, and they're very versatile. Wood decks can be stained or painted to match the color scheme of your home, and they can be customized in any style. However, wood decks require regular maintenance to keep them looking their best.
- Composite decks are made with a mixture of wood fibers and plastic. They are stand up to the elements, don't require tons of maintenance, and resist rot and insects and animals. Composite decks are a great option for homeowners who want the classic appearance of wood without having to put much effort into upkeep. They're available in a variety of colors and finishes, however, that will be the deck's color forever.
- PVC decks, also called vinyl decks, are made entirely of plastic, so they're water resistant and don't require much maintenance. They withstand rot, mold, and mildew and also come in a variety of colors. Vinyl decks are also slip-resistant, making them a safe choice for families with children or pets.
- Aluminum decks are a modern and sleek option for people who want a durable and low-maintenance deck. They are resistant to rust, corrosion, and fading. Aluminum decks are also fire-resistant, making them a safe choice if you have a nearby fireplace or fire pit.
Deck Layouts in Columbia, IL
Once you've decided on the type of deck you want, it's time to focus on finding a layout that works best for you and your yard in Columbia, IL. Here are some popular deck layouts to consider:
- A single-level deck is the most common and straightforward design. It is a flat deck just off the ground that provides a simple and practical outdoor living space. Single-level decks are perfect when outdoor space is limited or for homeowners with smaller budgets.
- A multi-level deck is a more complex and versatile style that can have different spaces devoted to different activities. It can effortlessly connect the indoors with the outdoors and make use of a sloping yard. Multi-level decks can have distinct spots for eating, relaxing, and entertaining, and can include stairs, built-in seating, and planters.
- A wraparound deck runs the entire perimeter of a house, or at least two sides of it. It provides an all-encompassing transition from different areas of your home and can instill a feeling of continuity. Wraparound decks can cover one or more floors and can be built with different materials and finishes to create visual interest.
- A freestanding deck is not attached to a house or other structure. It is a great option for homeowners who have uneven lawns or want more seclusion. Freestanding decks can be used to create a focal point in the yard, such as a gazebo, and can be built with various shapes and sizes.
- A rooftop deck is placed on top of your home or garage. It offers a secluded and elevated outdoor space and can offer stunning scenic views. Rooftop decks require careful design and engineering to ensure they are safe to be on and the project should include drainage systems to prevent water from pooling up and damaging the deck.
- A pool deck surrounds a swimming pool. It allows swimmers to walk safely without slipping, and non-swimmers can use it to relax. It's vital to choose a material that can withstand the elements. Additionally, pool decks should have proper drainage systems to prevent water from pooling up and causing damage to the deck or pool.
The design of your deck will be based on your personal preferences, budget, and the specific needs of your Columbia, IL home and yard. The right layout can enhance your outdoor living space, increase your home's value, and make your home the envy of the neighborhood for years. As your professional Columbia, IL deck builders, we dare you to dream big and then we fit your custom deck to your and your home's needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Deck Building in Columbia, IL
- How long does deck construction take in Columbia, IL?
The timeline for building a deck depends on a few different things, including the size of the deck, how elaborate the design is, and the weather conditions. Usually, a standard-sized deck can be constructed in two weeks or less.
- How much does a new deck cost in Columbia, IL?
The construction cost can change significantly based on the size of the deck, the materials used, and the complexity of the design. Generally, the cost of building a deck in Columbia, IL can be anywhere from $15 to $30 per square foot. Larger or more intricate designs can cost $50-$60 per square foot.
- Do I need a permit to build a deck in Columbia, IL?
Yes, permits are required to build a deck in Columbia, IL. A professional deck builder, like those at Poynter, will have experience with applying for and obtaining permits and can do so on your behalf.
- How long does a deck last in Columbia, IL?
The lifespan of a deck depends on several factors, including the materials used and how frequently and well it is maintained. A wood deck typically has a lifespan of 10 to 30 years, while a other materials can last up to 50 years or more.
- How do I maintain my deck in Columbia, IL?
Regular maintenance is essential to keep your deck both attractive and functional. Inspect the deck and clear off any branches or leaves that fall on it regularly. Damaged boards should be replaced immediately, and it's a good idea to schedule a professional deck cleaning annually to stave off the growth of mold and other pollutants. Also stain and/or seal the deck.
In addition to deck building, other services we offer to Columbia, IL homeowners include:
- Gardening Maintenance
- Pergola Builders Near Me
- Landscape Lighting Near Me
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Pool Remodeling
- Patio Installation
- Landscaping Near Me
- Landscape Design Near Me
- Hardscaping Near Me
Call Poynter Today For Your Custom Deck in Columbia, IL
If you're a homeowner in Columbia, IL, adding a custom-built deck to your backyard is a great way to enhance your outdoor living space. Poynter Landscape, a skilled team of professional Columbia, IL deck builders with over 25 years of experience, can help you create a functional and aesthetically pleasing outdoor living space that meets your needs and fits your budget. To have a home that's the envy of all your guests in Columbia, IL, call Poynter Landscape today at 636-256-2600 or contact us online.