Westwood, MO Deck Builder: Building Your Dream Outdoor Space
Deck builder in Westwood, MO. Are you dreaming of a beautiful and functional outdoor space in Westwood, MO where you can entertain guests, relax with family, or simply enjoy the natural beauty of your surroundings? A well-planned and well-built deck can transform any outdoor area into a space everyone wants to be and relax in. However, installing a deck is hard work. This is where a professional Westwood, MO deck builder comes in. A skilled deck builder can design and implement the outdoor space of your dreams, from start to finish. At Poynter Landscape, our expert designers and craftsman have been helping Westwood, MO homeowners get the outdoor living space of their dreams for more than almost 30 years. If you want to add a deck to your home, speak to a Poynter team member today at 636-256-2600 or tell us about your needs online.
Why Build a Deck?
A deck is a fun and relatively budget-friendly way to extend your home to the outside. Here are some of the benefits of building a deck in Westwood, MO:
- Increases home value
- Improves your outdoor living space
- Provides a space for entertaining guests outdoors
- Enhances how your home looks
- Ideal for sloped yards
- Allows you to enjoy the outdoors in comfort and style
Why Hire a Professional Deck Builder in Westwood, MO?
A deck is an investment in your home, and you want to make sure that it's built to last. Trusting a professional deck builder in Westwood, MO guarantees that your deck is built the right way. A deck builder will work with you to create a custom design that meets your needs and fits your budget. They can also apply for permits with your local municipality or Westwood, MO homeowners' association for you if needed.
While many Westwood, MO homeowners find the "do-it-yourself" aspect enticing, a professional deck builder is the best way to get a truly amazing deck. Professionals will be able to come up with design ideas you never thought of or thought possible, and make sure you and your property are safe during installation. While a DIY approach may cost less on the front end, if you end up having to correct or redo your work, it'll end up being more expensive than if the whole thing had been done by a professional deck builder.
Possible the biggest benefit of hiring an experienced deck builder is that they can help augment your yard even further by designing and installing other hardscape and structural elements that fit perfectly with your new deck. Poynter Landscape is an A-Z shop for all of your hardscaping needs. We can also help with:
- Outdoor Lighting
- Outdoor Fireplaces
- Fire Pits
- Patios & Terraces
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Pergolas & Pavilions
- Retaining Walls
With Poynter Landscape, all additions to your home will live together in unison and allow you and friends and family to relax and enjoy the scenery and each other's company.
How to Choose the Best Deck Layout for Your Westwood, MO Home
When planning for a custom deck in Westwood, MO, there are several things to consider to ensure you get the best end product. The following are some things to keep in mind:
- Purpose — How do you see yourself enjoying your new deck? Are you looking to host large gatherings or prefer a secluded place to be alone with your thoughts? Having a sense of the intended use of your deck will help guide the design process.
- Location and Orientation — Where will your deck be located? Consider factors such as shade, wind direction, and what you'll be able to see from the deck to determine the best orientation for your deck. Also, check with (or have your professional Westwood, MO deck builder check with) your local zoning regulations to ensure you adhere to setback requirements and other building codes.
- Materials — What should your deck be built with? Different materials have different aesthetics, durability, and maintenance needs. Common options include wood, composite, PVC, or aluminum. They all have their unique pros and cons, so it is important to understand the specifics of each, listen to what professional deck builders tell you, and choose a material that meets your requirements and budget.
- Design and Style — What design and style matches your tastes? Will it match your home's architecture and landscape? There are countless design possibilities for decks, from simple to intricate, conventional to contemporary. Consider factors such as railing, lighting, color, and texture to create a united and visually appealing yard.
- Budget — How much have you put aside for your deck? The price of installing a deck can vary widely based on factors such as size, materials, design, and features. Deciding on a budget early on will help your design become more focused.
- Maintenance — Are you willing to put in work for maintenance, or pay someone else to do it? Different materials and finishes require different levels of maintenance to prevent the need for expensive repairs and keep them looking great. Be sure to factor in the ongoing maintenance expenses when designing your deck.
- Building Codes and Permits — Do you need a permit to build your deck? Most local Westwood, MO building codes require you to apply for a permit for a new deck, and not acquiring one can lead to fines and legal troubles. Additionally, building codes specify minimum safety standards. It is necessary to comply with all building codes to ensure both your safety and the legality of the project.
By taking into account the above factors and hiring a reputable Westwood, MO deck builder, you can create an appealing and functional property that adds value and joy to your home. Just tell Poynter what you have and mind, and we'll deliver a custom deck that looks amazing while serving a purpose.
Deck Materials Used in Westwood, MO
Most decks are built to have the appearance of wood, however there are a few different materials that can be used to create that appearance and a functional deck. Most Westwood, MO deck builders will work with any of the following:
- Wood decks are always popular. They are relatively inexpensive, charming, and versatile. Wood decks can be stained or painted to match the color scheme of your home, and they can be built to fit any size or shape. However, wood decks require regular maintenance to keep them looking their best.
- Composite decks are made from a combination of wood fibers and plastic. They are stand up to the elements, don't require tons of maintenance, and withstand decay and insects and animals. Composite decks are a great option for homeowners who want the classic appearance of wood without the maintenance. They're available in a wide range of colors and finishes, but, the color at installation cannot be changed later.
- PVC decks, also referred to as vinyl decks, are made with just plastic, making them a waterproof and low-maintenance option for homeowners. They withstand rot, mold, and mildew and also come in numerous different colors. PVC decks are also slip-resistant, making them a good option for homes with children or pets.
- Aluminum decks are a modern and sleek option for people who want a durable and low-maintenance deck. They are resistant to rust, corrosion, and fading. Aluminum decks are also fire-resistant, making them a safe choice if you have a nearby fireplace or fire pit.
Deck Layouts in Westwood, MO
Once you've decided on the type of deck you want, it's time to focus on finding a style that meets your needs and complements your Westwood, MO home's architectural style and how your property functions. Popular design styles include:
- A single-level deck is the design style you see most often. It is a flat, low-to-the-ground deck that provides a simple place to gather and relax. Single-level decks are perfect when outdoor space is limited or for homeowners with smaller budgets.
- A multi-level deck is a more complex and versatile style that can have different spaces devoted to different purposes. It can effortlessly connect the indoors with the outdoors and take advantage of a sloping yard. Multi-level decks can have distinct spots for eating, relaxing, and entertaining, and can incorporate stairs, built-in seating, and planters.
- A wraparound deck runs the entire perimeter of a house, or at least two sides of it. It provides an all-encompassing transition from different areas of your indoor and outdoor space and can offer a sense of flow. Wraparound decks can be single or multi-level and can be built with different materials and finishes to create visual interest.
- A freestanding deck is not attached to a house or other structure. It is a great option for homeowners who want a standalone outdoor living space or have limited access to the house. Freestanding decks can be used to accentuate a certain feature of your yard, such as a gazebo, and can be designed in numerous different shapes and sizes.
- A rooftop deck is placed on top of your home or garage. It offers a secure and elevated outdoor space and can offer extraordinary views of the surrounding area. Rooftop decks require prudent design and engineering to ensure they are safe and stable and they should be built with drainage systems to prevent water from pooling up and damaging the deck.
- A pool deck surrounds a swimming pool. It allows swimmers to walk safely without slipping, and non-swimmers can use it to relax. It's important to choose a material that can withstand water and weather. Additionally, pool decks should have adequate drainage systems to prevent water from accumulating and causing damage to the deck or pool.
The layout of your deck will be based on your personal preferences, budget, and the specific needs of your Westwood, MO home and yard. The right style can enhance your outdoor living space, increase your home's value, and provide years of enjoyment. As your professional Westwood, MO deck builders, we ask you to imagine all the possibilities and then design a custom deck made exclusively for your home.
Frequently Asked Questions From Your Westwood, MO Deck Builder
- How long does it take to build a deck in Westwood, MO?
The duration of the project depends on a few different things, including the size of the deck, the complexity of the design, and the weather conditions. Typically, a standard-sized deck can be built in two weeks or less.
- How much does it cost to build a deck in Westwood, MO?
The construction cost can change significantly based on the size of the deck, the materials used, and the intricacy of the design. Typically, the price of a new deck in Westwood, MO ranges from $15 to $30 per square foot. Larger or more complex designs can cost $50-$60 per square foot.
- Do I need a permit to build a deck in Westwood, MO?
Yes, permits are mandatory to build a deck in Westwood, MO. A professional deck builder, like those at Poynter, will have experience with your municipality and can apply for and obtain the necessary permits on your behalf.
- What is the lifespan of a deck in Westwood, MO?
The lifespan of a deck depends on several factors, including the materials used and how frequently and well it is maintained. A wood deck can last anywhere from 10 to 30 years, while a other materials can last up to 50 years or more.
- How much do I need to maintain my deck in Westwood, MO?
Regular maintenance is vital to keep your deck both appealing and functional. Inspect the deck and clean off any branches or leaves that fall on it consistently. Damaged boards should be replaced ASAP, and it's a good idea to schedule a professional deck cleaning annually to reduce the growth of mold and other pollutants. Also stain and/or seal the deck.
In addition to deck building, other services we offer to Westwood, MO homeowners include:
- Gardening Maintenance
- Pergola Builders Near Me
- Landscape Lighting Near Me
- Outdoor Kitchens
- Pool Remodeling
- Patio Installation
- Landscaping Near Me
- Landscape Design Near Me
- Hardscaping Near Me
Call Poynter Today For Your Custom Deck in Westwood, MO
If you're a homeowner in Westwood, MO, adding a custom-built deck to your property is a great way to enhance your outdoor living space. Poynter Landscape, an experienced team of professional Westwood, MO deck builders with over two and a half decades of experience, can help you create a functional and aesthetically pleasing outdoor living space that meets your preferences and fits your budget. To have a home that's the envy of all your guests in Westwood, MO, call Poynter Landscape today at 636-256-2600 or contact us online.