It's not too early to start thinking about your irrigation system. If you don't already have an irrigation system, late winter or early spring is a great time to get a system installed before the hot summer months arrive. Already have a system in place? Here are some tips for getting your system up and running this spring.
- Get on the list early. Call your irrigation service provider and get on their list ASAP. Most people wait until the weather warms up and by then irrigation professionals already have a long list of customers they need to service.
- Consider your water system’s backflow prevention device because it keeps your home’s drinking water safe and free of contaminants by preventing outside water from backing up into your drinking water. If you live in St. Louis or surrounding areas, chances are you are required to get a backflow test by a certified inspector.
- Make sure danger of freeze has passed.
- Clean the system weather sensor, If you have one.
- Reprogram the controller for automatic watering. Replace the controller back-up battery if necessary.